5-HTP (5-hydroxytryptophan) is a natural extraction from the African Atooto plant. It is a clinically-researched ingredient that improves mood and relieves feelings of sadness and worry while maintaining emotional health.
Your body converts 5-HTP into feel-good neurotransmitters (brain chemicals), such as serotonin, that regulate mood, anxiety, sleep and aggression. Medical research has found these neurotransmitters are necessary for maintaining emotional wellness. By providing the body with the raw materials necessary to produce them, 5-HTP effectively increases the levels in the brain so feeling-good can happen.3
Supplementing your normal diet with 5-HTP is an effective way to boost mood and promote a positive outlook. 3,4 In the March 2005 issue of Alternative Medicine magazine, it recommended 5-HTP as the most important ingredient for improving emotional health. 1,2 The article also listed B6, B12 and Folic Acid as the best vitamins for improving mood.
5-HTP is considered safe when taken in mild dosages (so you don't "crash") and can be combined with other mood-elevating ingredients like hyperforin to make a power-cocktail of mood-boosting effect. Many supplements try and do this with St. John's Wort (SJW) but fail to standardize the hyperforin content which should be at least 3% - over 18mg; the potency shown to effectively improve mood in extensive clinical research.
Here at Nature's Remedies, we wanted to provide a product that has the quality and potency of 5-HTP and hyperforin required to make a reliable difference so we researched and found:
- 8 of the most popular brands of St Johns Wort 6 had even less that 1% potency!
- Only one had the standardised >3% potency and quality controls we were after
- 50 mg of 5HTP - an amount carefully selected to gently and safely increase serotonin levels (so you don't keep "crashing") synergizing with...
- 36mg of hyperforin (from 1200mg of St. John's wort extract with at least 3% hyperforin), so you can be sure that you're receiving the optimal amounts.
- B6, B12 and Folic Acid
While many natural supplements combine St. John's Wort (SJW) with 5-HTP, it's AMORYN that delivers SJW extract standardized to contain at least 3% hyperforin (over 18mg), the potency shown to effectively improve mood in extensive clinical research.
(1) Muruganandam AV, Bhattacharya SK, Ghosal S. (2001 Dec). Indian Journal of Experimental Biology.
(2) Laakmann G, Jahn G, Schule C. (2002). Nervenarzt.
(3) Teufel-Mayer R, Gleitz J. (1997 Sep). Pharmacopsychiatry.
(4) Calapai G, Crupi A, Firenzuoli F, et al. (1999 Jun). Journal of Pharmacy and Pharmacology.
(5) Di Carlo G, Borrelli F, Izzo AA, Ernst E. (2001 Nov). Trends in Pharmacological Sciences.
(6) Laakmann G, Schule C, Baghai T, Kieser M. (1998 Jun). Pharmacopsychiatry.
(7) Gaster B, Holroyd J. (2000 Jan). Archives of Internal Medicine.
(8) Schulz V. (2002 Jul). Phytomedicine.
(9) Whiskey E, Werneke U, Taylor D. (2001 Sep). International Clinical Psychopharmacology.
(10) Kasper S, Dienel A. (2002 Nov). Psychopharmacology (Berl).
(11) Szegedi A, Kohnen R, Dienel A, Kieser M. (2005 Feb). British Medical Journal.